Friday, February 03, 2006

Poker face

I'm writing this after a night out in town, it's quite late and I'm pretty tired but I felt like posting something so excuse me if I misspell something or if I simply don't make sense and get over it you ingrates! (Just kidding hehe I wouldn't dare offend you my loyal readers ;)) The shitty part is that I had to queue for nearly 2 hours to get to the fuckin' place, I was there on my own and it was freezin' cold. The not-so-shitty part is that I met some interesting people in the process. I met a couple of half drunken girls, one from Finland and one from Windsor, they were good fun but they ended up cutting the line coz they knew the bouncer. Then I met some mexican girls I already knew but with whom I didn't speak all that much so the queue helped us (or better put, forced us) to socialize. I also met many spanish people along the way and some german dudes and dudettes. In fact, I think I may have had more fun whilst queuing than when I actually (and finally) entered the club.

Anyways, I'm starting to ramble... I think the original motivation of my post was to say something about my venturing into the mysterious territories of online poker. Oh yeah, that's what it was, so here goes.

As you may or may not know I'm kind of a competitive person by nature. I love to play any type of board game (dominoes, poker, risk, rummy, battleship, you name it) and beat the crap out of anybody who might be playin' against me, and I must say I'm actually pretty good at it, maybe because I sometimes take it to seriously and I'm stubborn enough to master the game or simply because the people playin' against me just don't give a rat's ass if they win or lose, personally I like to think that is the former but who knows.

Also, you might have noticed lately that poker, in particular texas hold'em, has become pretty big especially in the states and in the little island they like to call britain the craze has caught on as well.

Motivated by the fact that I've won a couple of pesos and pounds over the last month playin' poker with my friends and my aforementioned competitiveness, I decided to create an account to play online and kick some virtual butt. Signing up and depositing money into your account it's pretty easy peasy (after all the bastards are after your money) and once you do that, on you go! You're ready to get yourself some money! Turns out you can even qualify to a real life poker tourney, with thousands of pouds in prizes, by playin' online satellites which only cost 2 usd. I've been tryin' to win one of these satellites but at the moment of writing still haven't been able to, close as I may have come.
What I did win though was a welcome-to-our-site-we'll-let-you-play-this-one-for-free-but-after
-that-you-must-surrender-your-soul-to-us kind of tournament. It was a free tournament for players that had signed up at most one week before. I said 'What the heck, it's free so I might as well play it' and out of the 51 good for nothing loafers that entered I came out the victor (clever, huh?) winning a grand prize of 90 usd. That was pretty cool at the moment and I was very excited until I found out that the stupid site didn't like the fact that I won and now it's out to get me. All that's left of the 90 dollars is something like 21, the rest I've dilapidated on satellites to try to get to the stupid british poker open and other tourneys. But you can bet your ass that I'll spend the rest of my bounty (and perhaps even more) tryin' to do it and get on national tv! :D

So there you have it, if you play poker online you don't require to have a good poker face since nobody else can see you but you'll certainly never become rich unless you play against carbon-based life forms and not the silicon-based ones that can bend the odds in favour of whoever they feel like bending them. Damn computers! Orwell was right! (Have you seen that AOL ad?)

Victor

p.s. I didn't like this post at all, I hope that if someone reads it it doesn't come off as crappy as I think it is. But an update is an update, innit? And if you don't like it, well...go read my to kill a mockingbird post, I think that it's the less vain and better written outta the 4 I've done.

p.s. Leave comments! Yes you! Don't act dumb ... ¬_¬

7 comments

At 4/2/06 07:40, Blogger Ing. Cardioide said...

LOL!

You're right in that part when you say you're competitive in board games. I'm really bad at dominoes, but I'm good at backgammon (good as an amateur player, not a profesional player... that's why I don't go into that tournaments) and I'm learning Rummykub :P

BTW, what happened with the Dodgeball championship?

Greetings from Puebla,

Lalo.

 
At 4/2/06 16:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, since i haven't written nothing in any of your blogs, I'll take a few seconds to write something insignificant.
Ohh... by the way. While playing poker with Victor (yes, i am one of those persons that practicly give there money to Victor when playing against him) he tried to bluff and I ended winning the hand with a pair of 3's. Good for me.

NGO

 
At 5/2/06 22:36, Blogger Raquel said...

I remember you playing domino and cards..and rumour has it you're good...
You should have written some tricks...
And I love "dudettes"...never heard that before!!!!!! :D

 
At 5/2/06 23:33, Blogger Victor said...

Lalo: i kick ass at backgammon! I forgot to say that in my post, me and la meyer used to play.

NGOloso: get over ypur pair of 3's! :S

Raquel: You love dudettes?!?! And here I thought you were straight hehe :P

 
At 6/2/06 16:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Victor,

Ha, yes, I can assure anyone you get on the competitive side, that makes the motivation of anyone playing against you, just to make you upset, any luck with the dudettes?

Later Duuuuude!

Sincerely,

The Undisputed Champion of Backgamon

P.S. gotta improve the writing skills, you only refer to the kill a mocking bird.

 
At 6/2/06 16:41, Blogger Victor said...

Anonymous:
Duuuuuuuuuuuude I know I have to improve my writing skills but, have you tried to read your comment?
Dude, it makes me look like shakespeare hehe

Btw, who made you the undisputed champ? Do you have a crown to prove it by any chance?

 
At 6/2/07 14:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Search wheelchairs in india Tooth whitening on tv

 

Post a Comment

<< Home