Tuesday, May 16, 2006

10k

I'm planning on entering a 10k run here in Manchester with some of my friends. The race is this coming sunday, the 21st, and we decided to start doing some running last thursday, a whole 10 days of training!

On Thursday, seeing that the day was nice for a change, we decided to go to the park for a run. That was my first run in like a year maybe and quite obviously after 3 exhausting kilometers I was ready to sell my soul for an oxygen tank :P The first thought that sprang in my mind was You're nuts if you think you'll be able to run 10k in a week's time

Friday we decided to run along the same course as the day before to see if we could push it a little bit further. I must say I had very low expectations after Thursday's experience but the human body is an incredible machine, and it suffices to give it only a little practice to remind it of its capabilities. I ran around 5.3k that day.

Saturday I didn't run because I was hungover from a damn Johnny Walker bottle, but I did play some squash hangover notwithstanding. On Sunday (actually since Saturday), the weather reverted to its usual rainy form, so I just couldn't be bothered and didn't run that day either.

Yesterday, the weather was still wet and shitty so we decided to go run on the treadmill at the sports centre. I set the treadmill to a 10kph speed and started running setting myself a goal of maybe 6k. To my surprise, once I got to 6k I felt I could still keeo going, so I did. I decided to go for 7.5k and managed them with still something left in the tank so I went for more. Once I reached 8k I decided I wasn't going to stop until I reached 10k even if they had to take me out in a stretcher. The last k was very very hard but I actually managed it, I was listening to some music and I kept telling myself 'Just 2 more songs, 2 more songs' (6 minutes). 10k in an hour, I know it's not remotely impressive for a proper athlete but for me it's pretty foockin' good. I had never run more than 6k in my life and that was like 5 years ago when my statistics lecturer at uni made us enter a 6k run in order to get extra credits hehe.

Now it's only left to see how hard it's to translate 10k from the treadmill to the street. I'll keep running this week, maybe a big run on wednesday, a very short one on thursday and another long one on friday and we'll see how it goes. I'll let you know if I finish the 10k on sunday.

VĂ­ctor

ps After the 10k my left knee was (still is) nagging me a bit, I'm gettin' old :'(

pps Running on the treadmill is booooooring

14 comments

At 16/5/06 17:31, Blogger ngo said...

If u combine running with jumping and eat more vegetable in a couple of months u will be ... a rabbit, :)

 
At 16/5/06 20:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the race Victor.

But please, for the sake of your 'fan base', do not post pictures of your decaying body parts after the race as you did in the last post.

 
At 16/5/06 22:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could always do what I do on the treadmill. Rocky soundtrack baby :D Works every time.

Oh, I'll let you know about what I'm doing. I haven't really given it much thought this year.

 
At 18/5/06 15:22, Blogger Raquel said...

Wow! Only 10 k ;) ??? You used to be so athletic! What happened to you? Age? Too much Guinness???

 
At 18/5/06 16:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Athletic?!!??! Raquel, I think you must have met Victor in a previous life, he is closer to Homer Simpson than to OJ, althought he would like to have Jessica. Now Dude I would recomend that the night before the race you prepare as the rat, and go out and drink yourself into oblivion.

Hope you finish the race...

 
At 18/5/06 18:21, Blogger Raquel said...

If you are Beto from UDLA then you certainly know this dude very well...I remember him being athletic, but during those days my vision was compromised! 0_O!!
So yeah, I don't know...maybe you should indeed drink yourself into oblivion Vic...

 
At 18/5/06 22:44, Blogger Victor said...

I don't plan on indulgin' any kind of excess the day before. Beto once prepared for a 'race' by having 5 hotcakes for breakfast and you wouldn't like to know how that ended.

Pops, just for you I'll post a picture of any blister I get. Stay tuned!

About the Homer comment, I just have one thing to say: Hmmmmm donuts. No wait, I meant: Hmmmmm Jessica...Simpson or Rabbit, either would be ok with me. I'm not that picky ;P

And finally, if everything else fails I might give that rocky soundtrack a go.

 
At 19/5/06 07:30, Blogger Ing. Cardioide said...

Oops!

Flashnews! You're old... maybe you're in the same generation as El Tata :P (and that's a lot to say LOL)

Greetings!

Lalo.

 
At 21/5/06 02:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raquel, maybe Im that character, perhaps in a previous life too; and if you ever saw Victor as athletic, your vision was quite murky. Btw, the pancake thing was a high carbohydrate diet, kinda like soccer players eating lots of pasta before a game.

Lalo Tata's generation is about the third sun, or the second sun, no one is sure about it.

 
At 23/5/06 17:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is this Tata person everybody speaks so highly of?

 
At 25/5/06 14:30, Blogger Victor said...

This Tata person is the second coming of Methuselah. Or was it second cousin?

 
At 26/5/06 16:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tata(ta-ta): Old wrinkled guy, from the 2nd or 3rd sun, depending on the prehispanic culture, also goes by the name ET (maybe because he is as wrinkled as the alien), has lapses, also has measure zero acording to Oaxacan folk legend and a distinctive smell to bacon.

Hope that was clear enough, will add it to wikkipedia one day..

 
At 26/5/06 16:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding Oaxacan folk legends, I can only say pinche vieja!!

And I do not smell of bacon. Or any other deli meat for that matter.

 
At 26/4/07 11:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home